The WVCDL seeks to:
- Remove the requirement to be subjected to registration and taxation through the licensing process to carry a concealed firearm. The WV Constitution clearly states that "A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state, and for lawful hunting and recreational use."
- Restore the right to possess firearms on public property.
- Strengthen preemption to ensure that laws pertaining to possession of a firearm are enforced uniformly across the state.
- Improve the safety of children and minors by re-introducing firearms and hunter safety courses to public schools
Concealed Handgun License (CHL) Issues
- Reciprocity - The WVCDL has worked to expand reciprocity from 3 to 34 states already, and will continue
to do so until all other states' licenses are recognized.
- Reduce Fees - Seek a reduction in fees from the current cost to align more closely with other state's fees.
- Military Service - Allow proof of military service to suffice for required proof of firearms training and automatically
extend CHLs for military members during overseas deployment.
- Renewals - Allow renewals to be processed via mail rather than appearing in person at the sheriff's office and require renewal
notices for expiring concealed handgun licenses to be sent in the same manner as renewal notices are issued for driver's licenses.
- School Carry - Exempt CHL holders from state gun-free schools law.
- Repeal State Capitol Carry Ban - Currently, possession of a firearm at the State Capitol or its campus, except for CHL holders leaving their firearms secured and out of view in their vehicles, is illegal. The WVCDL would
like to have the ban on lawful carry repealed.